The English Language Teaching Unit of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura has designed this course in response to a growing demand from students and professionals.
The main aim of the course is to enhance and develop the English Language proficiency of the participants.
- to improve the listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- to give confidence in the use of the target language
- to familiarize the participants with social etiquette
- to augment their interpersonal skills
- to make the participants effective communicators
Pass G.C.E. (O/L) examination with English Language as a subject or an equivalent qualification
225 hrs. (06 Months)
Classes will be held from 8.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m on Sundays. Students will be required to sign the attendance register at the beginning of each lecture and they are required to follow a full day’s class work. The students are expected to be punctual and should desist from leaving the class early. Late comers or early leavers will lose attendance.
- Functional Grammar
- Language competency– Reading, Writing and vocabulary.
- Reading – Different types of texts to improve reading skills.
- Writing- Paragraph writing, essays, notes, letters, short reports, summaries and emails.
- Oral skills – role plays, dramas, formal and informal interviews, impromptu speeches, telephone talk, short presentations
- Literature– To enrich the students’ language abilities through the study of poems and short stories.
Experienced English Language Lecturers attached to the English Language Teaching Unit and the Department of English. All members of the teaching panel have Postgraduate Qualifications in Teaching English as a Second Language.
Language skills will be promoted through communicative activities such as games, pair and group activities, role plays, simulations, dramas, debates and other interactive sessions.
School Leavers (over 18 yrs. Of age),
Employed persons who need to advance their communication skills in English
- A total of 80% attendanceis required to sit the final written examination.
- There would be three written papers at the final examination. (Duration- 3hrs each)
- Functional grammar paper
- Language competency paper (to evaluate your reading and writing proficiency)
- Language through literature paper
Three oral assessments are held to evaluate the speaking skills of each student(personal interview + impromptu speech, argumentative discussion with a partner and a poster presentation)
Those who are successful at the final examination will be issued a certificate
Course fee – Certificate Course -.Rs. 20000.00 (including the application fee of Rs.300/=)
Account Number- 0130 1000 1306 (People’s Bank)
For further details, contact the ELTU on 0112802499