The main objectives of this programme are to
- Help students reach English language at University Test of English Language (UTEL) Band 6 level in terms of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Improve the English language skills in order to use the target language competently in a variety of academic, personal and professional settings.
- Enhance confidence to sit for professional courses conducted by international agencies.
- Familiarize the participants with social etiquette and augment their interpersonal
Programme Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Diploma in English, the participants will be able to:
- Use the English language at University Test of English Language (UTEL) Band 6 level in terms of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Demonstrate confidence and proficiency in using the English language in communication in a variety of academic, personal and professional settings.
- Take professional courses conducted by international agencies.
- Display the skills to use appropriate social etiquette, team work, leadership qualities and ability to effectively communicate in the target language
SLQF Level 3
NVQ Level 5
Description of the course
This course will fulfill the growing demand for a Diploma in English from a wide range of prospective participants, in particular external candidates, who are aware of the demands of the market and therefore wish to enhance their command of the target language. Furthermore, the students who successfully complete the fee-levying Certificate in English course offered by the Department of English Language Teaching will also benefit, as they would now have a path to further enhance their competency in the target language. Learning to speak the English language is a necessity or of great benefit when searching for jobs and promotions in their respective fields. After completing this programme, students will be able to find more lucrative jobs or seek for promotions with an improved ability to speak and write English academically and professionally. Moreover, it would provide a competitive edge in career choices. They may also be able to use this diploma to pave the path toward earning further higher-level academic degrees and professional qualifications. Learning
English is important for socializing and entertainment as well as work. One participates more effectively and responsibly in a multi-cultural world if one knows another language. Therefore, it is hoped that by following this course, the participants will be able to confidently face the challenges in their life. Moreover, those who complete this course will be more confident to take international exams such IELTS, TOEFL, etc. and sit for professional courses conducted by local and international institutions.