Description of the Course
There is an unprecedented demand for technology companies, financial services, government and not-for-profit organizations for graduates who can effectively analyze data. The Advanced Certificate in Data Analysis for Social Scientists will introduce the essential notions of probability and statistics. Also, it will cover techniques in modern data analysis: estimation, regression and econometrics, prediction, experimental design, etc. It will illustrate these concepts with applications drawn from real world examples and frontier research. Finally, it will provide instruction on how to use statistical packages such as SPSS, EViews, R and opportunities for students to perform self-directed empirical analyses. Therefore, the advanced certificate course will help students gain a critical understanding of the strengths of quantitative research, and acquire practical skills using different methods and tools to answer relevant social science questions.
SLQF Level 2
NVQ Level 4
The main objective of this programme is to provide the opportunity to explore the way in which statistical techniques can be used to analyze the data related to the fields of social science.
Programme Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, the students will be able to
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of statistics and data analysis.
- demonstrate personal accountability using a range of analytical and critical skills and making a positive contribution to society.
- demonstrate capability to analyze relevant social science phenomena using appropriate statistical techniques.
- demonstrate critical thinking in data analysis and problem solving related to the fields of social science.
- communicate effectively data analysis findings and share information with collaborators.