English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU)
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
CERTIFICATE COURSE IN ENGLISH – Intake 09
The English Language Teaching Unit of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura has designed this course in response to a growing demand from students and professionals.The main aim of the course is to enhance and develop the English Language proficiency of the participants.
- to improve the listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- to give confidence in the use of the target language
- to familiarize the participants with social etiquette
- to augment their interpersonal skills
- to make the participants effective communicators
Qualifications: G.C.E. (O/L) examination with English Language as a subject
Duration : 225 hrs. (06 Months)
Time : Classes will be held from 8.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m on Sundays. Students will be required to sign the attendance register at the beginning of each lecture and they are required to follow a full day’s class work. The students are expected to be punctual and should desist from leaving the class early. Late comers or early leavers will lose attendance.
- Functional Grammar
- Language competency– Reading, Writing and vocabulary
- Reading – Different types of texts to improve reading skills.
- Writing- Paragraph writing, essays, notes, letters, short reports, summaries and emails.
- Oral skills – role plays, dramas, formal and informal interviews, impromptu speeches, telephone talk, short presentations
- Literature– To enrich the students’ language abilities through the study of poems and short stories.
Teaching staff : Experienced English Language Lecturers with Postgraduate Qualifications in Teaching English as a Second Language.
Methodology: Language skills will be promoted through communicative activities such as games, pair and group activities, role plays, simulations, dramas, debates and other interactive sessions.
School Leavers (over 18 yrs. Of age),
Employed persons who need to advance their communication skills in English
- A total of 80% attendanceis required to sit the final written examination.
- There would be three written papers at the final examination. (Duration- 3hrs each)
- Functional grammar paper
- Language competency paper (to evaluate your reading and writing proficiency)
- Language through literature paper
- Three oral assessments to evaluate your speaking skills (personal interview + impromptu speech, argumentative discussion with a partner and a poster presentation)
- Those who are successful at the final examination will be issued a certificate
At the end of the course, the students would be able to listen and understand the target language, speak in English with some confidence, read and comprehend different types of texts without difficulty and will improve their writing ability in English.
Course fee – Certificate Course -.Rs. 20000.00 (including the application fee of Rs.300/=)
Application could be obtained from the English Language Teaching Unit, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. Completed application forms should be brought to the walk-in-interviews to be held on 2nd , 9th and 16th October 2016 from 9.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon at the ELTU of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura along with the Deposit Slip for Rs.300/= paid to the Account No 013010001306 at any branch of the People’s Bank.
The course is scheduled to be commenced on 23rd October 2016.
For further details, contact the ELTU 0112802499 or 0112758633.